The Powerful Blueberry!
The blueberry - named for its color and loved for being sweet, tart and nearly seedless. But did you know this hugely popular fruit is also incredibly good for you? In addition to being low in calories, blueberries have the highest antioxidant capacity of all the popular fruits and vegetables making them an extremely powerful superfood.
Blueberries are one of the best natural sources of antioxidants. We talk a lot about antioxidants in The Glomission but that’s because they are the most important line of defense when it comes to our overall health. Acting as the body’s soldiers, they defend against free radical damage and keep our immune systems working strong. Antioxidants neutralize the free radicals in our body, protecting the structural integrity of cells and tissues and when that doesn’t happen - the free radicals can cause damage in our bodies. Free radicals are a byproduct of normal cellular function, but we are exposed to additional free radicals all the time from environmental sources like pollution, UV rays, cigarette smoke, and even stress. Because free radicals are so pervasive – we need a constant supply of antioxidants to disarm them, and the blueberry is an ideal source to get them. Eating blueberries regularly - fresh, frozen, or powdered - can help reduce cellular damage by as much as 20%!
In addition to being jam-packed with antioxidants, blueberries contain other vitamins and minerals that provide extraordinary health benefits. Blueberries are an excellent source of Vitamins C, K and A as well as Manganese and dietary fiber.
The health benefits of the blueberry are numerous but include:
- Better cholesterol levels by helping reduce the levels of oxidized LDL (the good cholesterol!)
- Help reduce high blood pressure – studies have shown eating blueberries regularly is tied to lower blood pressure
- Have anti-diabetes effects – the anthocyanins in blueberries appear to help improve insulin sensitivity and lower blood sugar levels
- Help maintain brain function and improve memory – the antioxidants in blueberries may affect areas of the brain essential for intelligence
- Help reduce DNA damage which may protect against cancer and aid in healthier aging
- Help prevent heart disease - blueberries are certified as heart-healthy through the American Heart Association® Heart-Check Food Certification Program.
Plus, they’re delicious and because they are 85% water, low in calories. Some would argue the blueberry may be the perfect food!
Glotrition believes in the blueberry so much, we include two types in our Super Beauty Elixir, blueberry fruit powder and blueberry juice powder. When you supplement your beauty wellness routine with the Super Beauty Elixir, not only are you getting the clinically effective doses of Bioactive Collagen Peptides and Hyaluronic Acid, but you are also getting the full benefit of the amazing BLUEBERRY in our Super Beauty Antioxidant Blend!