Fall is in the air and we are loving it! Cooler temperatures, sweaters, and yummy things stewing on the stovetop.
Whenever possible, we try to supercharge our Glotrition regimen by finding recipes that utilize skin loving ingredients. We LOVE this delicious Coconut Curry Lentil soup from the gals at @modernproper.
Lentils are loaded with folate, or folic acid, which helps facilitate the development of healthy skin cells. It can help fight premature aging, specifically wrinkles and fine lines. It has also been found to increase the production of collagen! Just one cup of these mighty legumes provides 90% of your daily recommended intake of folic acid.
Coconut milk has high levels of Vitamin C which helps maintain elasticity and flexibility of the skin. This important vitamin also helps boost the immune system.
Curry is one of our favorite spices because of its high antioxidant content. It helps to reduce free radical damage (leading cause of aging) and has powerful anti-inflammatory effects.
This soup is a great make ahead and freeze for later recipe.
Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
- 1.5 cupsDried brown lentils
- 2 (13.5 oz) cansCoconut milk
- 6 cupsChicken stock or vegetable broth (for vegan)
- 2 cupsSweet potatoes, about 2 small potatoes, peeled and 1 1/2" cubed
- 4 cupsPacked kale, stems removed and torn into 2" pieces
- 2 tbspOlive oil
- 1Large onion, chopped
- 4Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tspSalt
- 1 tbspFresh ginger, grated
- 3 tbspYellow curry powder
- 1Cinnamon stick, or 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- In a 5 quart soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add all other ingredients except for kale and bring to a boil before reducing to a simmer.
- Allow the soup to simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Add in kale and simmer uncovered for another 5-10 minutes. Serve with warm bread and enjoy!
If using a slow-cooker, add all ingredients (except kale) and cook on low for 4 hours. Add kale for the last 30 minutes of cook time.