While you're celebrating America on this Fourth of July, go ahead and celebrate your health too! At Glotrition, we LOVE antioxidant rich berries. Our Super Beauty Elixir is loaded with fresh dried berry powders. Why? Because we know about all the amazing health bennies that berries provide for your skin and overall well being.
So, why not try this healthier version of the Flag cake that your favorite Aunt brings to every 4th of July BBQ??
Our version is sans sugar and dairy...two things that can cause inflammation and wreak havoc on your skin. Topped with organic, antioxidant rich fresh berries, this one's a winner!
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 2 cups granulated monkfruit sweetener
- 2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 8 eggs, room temperature
- 8 ounces of plant based cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup of unsalted grass fed butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- One pkg sugar free strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup ice water
- 1 1/4 cups coconut cream
- ¼ cup of softened plant based cream cheese
- 4 tsp granulated monkfruit sweetener
Strawberry & Blueberry Topping:
- 1 pint fresh organic blueberries
- 1 pint fresh organic strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Measure and set aside the almond flour, baking powder, and sea salt.
- In a mixing bowl, mix using an electric mixer set to high beat the butter, cream cheese, sugar substitute, and vanilla until well incorporated.
- Next, add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg addition as well as the vanilla extract.
- Then add all the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- In a well-greased 9x13 cake pan, bake the cake for 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Allow the cake to cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the gelatin according to the directions on the box using ice water.
- Allow the gelatin to set in the fridge slightly for about 30 minutes. The gelatin should still be loose and only just beginning to set. It should still be pourable.
- Then poke the entire surface of the cake every 1/2 inch with a skewer or fork. Slowly pour and spread the gelatin over the entire cake. Ensuring that the cake soaks up all the gelatin.
- Allow the cake to set completely in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- While the cake is setting, make the whipped topping by combining the coconut cream, granulated monkfruit, and softened plant based cream cheese. Beat on high using an electric mixer until soft peaks form. The addition of the cream cheese will help stabilize the whipping cream.
- Once the cake has been fully chilled, you can then top the cake with the whipped topping. Make sure to spread evenly across the surface of the cake.
- Decorate your poke cake with sliced strawberries and blueberries in a flag pattern. Using the blueberries to represent the stars and the strawberries to represent the stripes.